Friday, December 3, 2010

the scale of the universe and of the history and philosophy of engineering education

Class,
I can't decide where the concepts in H/P fit metaphorically in this universe scale. Some seem to me to be of the size of galaxies in the concept of engineering, some are like DNA, some are hard to place. I share this scale of the universe model with you so you can ponder both realms as I have been doing for a long time in thinking about man's role in the universe as we are thinking about engineering's role in our societies. I stand in awe of both concepts and of how our thinking about engineering has been stretched.
dan
Move the blue button right and left.


http://primaxstudio.com/stuff/scale_of_universe/

 
An author who has done a lot of thinking about these kind of questions and blended his thoughts on the meaning of life [and some fantastic creative engineering] into science fiction stories  turned 90 yrs old not so long ago, Arthur C Clarke. If you haven't ever met him, his Rama series is absolutely out of this world.[see below].  If you would like to meet him, here is one of his last Youtube recordings.
Arthur C. Clarke stretched my imagination as few others have done. He died in 2007.
 
Rama [great holiday reading]
1. Rendezvous with Rama (1972)
2. Rama II (1989) (with Gentry Lee)
3. The Garden of Rama (1991) (with Gentry Lee)
4. Rama Revealed (1993) (with Gentry Lee)

No comments:

Post a Comment