While searching for a diversity article for Seminar two weeks ago, I came across a name of someone who is regarded as an expert in diversity education in engineering that I decided to Google. When I found his biographical information, I realized that this person has had a large, yet indirect, impact on my life. He is a founder of the fellowship that I received for my master’s degree in engineering. I watched a YouTube video interview that I found about him and I was surprised to see that he also considers mentoring his hobby. I was going to paste the link in the Seminar Blackboard discussion forum when I realized why I even want to share this video in the first place. During week 11, we discussed Slayton’s book chapter,” Opportunity in the City”, which showed a case of unsuccessful minority inclusion in higher education. One person even commented in class that the efforts were a complete failure. I want to share this YouTube video to illustrate some minority inclusion efforts that have been successful. Dr. Howard Adam’s efforts have not only been successful for me, but for the other fellowship recipients and his mentees (which include the current CEO of Xerox, Ursula Burns). I hope that you enjoy the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95cq1ll-jbQ
No comments:
Post a Comment