"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care much where ---" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you walk," said the Cat.
"--- so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat. "If you only walk long enough."
- The above quote is from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. It's not in the reading assignments, and this is not Alice Prof. Pawley. I think this quote describes what this course is all about.
- One thing I heard and found interesting in the past two lectures is to let yourself go where you have not gone before, to places that are new to you, and to patterns of thinking that do not necessarily match yours. I think we will need to challenge what is put in the table from the readings.
- One of my favorite professors once said, "You've learned all what you need for this life in kinder garden." I consider this course to be a little more extra work for this reason!
- I am not a philosopher, and I am not interested in being one, but I read philosophy for pleasure. Ask what does the Ph. stand for in Ph.D.
- I found it useful to decouple teaching morals (ethics) from math, science or more generally thinking to understand the readings. I am not sure if you understand me.
- I also found it useful to decouple talking about teaching techniques (scaffolding, building blocks, etc.) from talking about philosophy of education.
- Three terms you will need to know to be successful in ENE: lenses, unpacking, and scaffolding. For some reason, I keep hearing them very often!
- My problem: In class discussions, I only listen to myself; when others are talking I keep thinking of what I was saying, myself! Do you have the same problem, or is it just me?
No comments:
Post a Comment