Saturday, September 4, 2010

My understanding of Existentialism

As a famous expression of Existentialism says “existence precedes essence.” Existentialists emphasize subjectivity and freedom in human beings. They believe one should not be defined as having some “nature”, or to be educated to fit in such role. People should create or choose their own nature by themselves. The education strategy guided by Existentialism differs from what we learnt from Aristotle. Aristotle thought that people all have certain places in life, and their education should be decided accordingly. But how did he know the appropriate “place” of a new born baby? Or who had the right to define another human being’s role so as to give him suitable education? Considering the era Aristotle was in, I think, the role of human being might be defined in such a simple way: the offspring of a slave/leader is designated to be a slave /leader. Again, this preordained hierarchy would be rejected by Existentialists.

I appreciate what Existentialists would say: You are responsible for making yourself. This point of view encourages you to strive for better future – American Dream? However, a question came into my mind: Considering the role of education, will it be difficult to provide the exact kind of education for someone according to his own essence? How do teacher know what essence the student have? How can teacher avoid defining student’s role while providing appropriate guidance to the student?

In China, I notice two kinds of educational methods parents use in bringing up their children. Some parents sign up for piano class for their kids, regardless whether their kids are interested in it or not. Further more, they force their kids to take piano examination to get a certificate for becoming a professional pianist. First, I think ignoring kids’ interest violates what Existentialist proposed. The kids may lose motivations to meet their parents’ expectation. Or even worse, the kids may lose the ability to plan their own career. I will prefer to offer my kids an environment where their choices are highly respected. Do I violate the “freedom” proposition by Existentialists if I advise them to stay away from drugs and cigarette?

No comments:

Post a Comment