Twas the night before Youtube, when all through the Office
Not a student was stirring, not even a mouse.
The papers were saved in the comp'ter with care,
In hopes that St Alice soon would be there.
The students were nestled all snug in their chairs,
While visions of doctorates danced in their heads.
And Tosin in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long desk-side nap.
When out in the hall there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the chair to see what was the matter.
Away to the corner I flew like a goat,
Tore open the doors and threw on my coat.
The light on the tile of the new-mopped floor
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a professor with stacked papers and gear.
With a smile so bright, so lively and nice,
I knew in a moment it must be St Alice.
More rapid than eagles her students they came,
And she whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!
"Now Cory! Now, Ruthie! Now Tosin and Hadi!
On, Lorie! On Daniel! On Xingyu and Nichole!
To the end of the hall! to the classroom and blackboard!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"
Her eyes-how they twinkled! her dimples how merry!
Her cheeks were like roses, her laughter was inspiring!
Her ideas were exciting, her summaries quick
And the smile on her face made it all click!
She spoke not a word, but went straight to her work,
And filled all the blackboards, then turned with a jerk.
And laying her finger aside of her nose,
And giving a nod, down the hall she goes!
She sprang to her car, to her students gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard her exclaim, ‘ere she drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and get your work done tonight!"
Not a student was stirring, not even a mouse.
The papers were saved in the comp'ter with care,
In hopes that St Alice soon would be there.
The students were nestled all snug in their chairs,
While visions of doctorates danced in their heads.
And Tosin in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long desk-side nap.
When out in the hall there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the chair to see what was the matter.
Away to the corner I flew like a goat,
Tore open the doors and threw on my coat.
The light on the tile of the new-mopped floor
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a professor with stacked papers and gear.
With a smile so bright, so lively and nice,
I knew in a moment it must be St Alice.
More rapid than eagles her students they came,
And she whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!
"Now Cory! Now, Ruthie! Now Tosin and Hadi!
On, Lorie! On Daniel! On Xingyu and Nichole!
To the end of the hall! to the classroom and blackboard!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"
Her eyes-how they twinkled! her dimples how merry!
Her cheeks were like roses, her laughter was inspiring!
Her ideas were exciting, her summaries quick
And the smile on her face made it all click!
She spoke not a word, but went straight to her work,
And filled all the blackboards, then turned with a jerk.
And laying her finger aside of her nose,
And giving a nod, down the hall she goes!
She sprang to her car, to her students gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard her exclaim, ‘ere she drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and get your work done tonight!"
No comments:
Post a Comment