I know it's Thanksgiving but I just had to share my thoughts on an issue that is in the news right now; and discuss how it relates to the role that engineers play in society.
Many people are traveling by plane this holiday season. Recently, new screening devices have been put at some security checkpoints in the airports to allow TSA security personell to see everything - literally. I would assume that the decision to create this device was done in an attempt to improve security. It is reasonable to assume that an engineer was involved with the design/creation of this device at some point in the development process; and of course, promoting safety (in a variety of contexts and ways) is among the main roles that engineers occupy in our society. No, I am not against the idea behind this design, but the execution of it makes me a little nervous. Furthermore, there is an overwhelming response on behalf of the public that the device facilitates the violation of the passenger's privacy and hostility between the passenger and security personell (among other things).
Some could argue that while engineers did help to promote safety by creating this device, they simultaneously helped to violate the passengers they desired to protect. This paradox can be viewed as an ethical issue. Specifically, it has elemements of the utilitarian ethical perspective which suggests that some practices (though not ideal in and of themselves) are justified if the population as a whole benefits. Additionally, this scenario also reveals the complexity of the role in which engineers must occupy. Engineers have to satify multiple customers with one design and usually the satisfaction of one customer comes at the expense of another.
Thankfully, I am not traveling my plane this holiday season! Hopefully, an update to this design will be released by the time I am ready to fly.
Happy Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment